How do I store pu-erh tea?
When looking for an appropriate space for pu-erh tea storage, you want to be mindful of the following four elements:
The light setting is important in storing or aging tea because direct sunlight can accelerate the oxidation of certain compounds in tea that can change the quality of your tea. So the rule of thumb is to store your tea in a low-light setting.
The ideal temperature setting for pu-erh tea storage is moderate and consistent, around 70 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
The ideal level of humidity depends on your exact temperature setting. For example,
- If your storage environment is 85 degrees Fahrenheit, set to lower humidity, about 50%.
- If your storage environment is 70 degrees Fahrenheit, set to higher humidity, about 70%.
The ideal amount of airflow depends on the level of humidity in the environment and your preference between dry vs. wet stored tea.
- The more humid the environment, the more airflow you need for your tea.
- The more airflow your tea is exposed to, the higher chance your tea aroma escapes.
Last but not least, remember that tea is highly absorbent. So do not place your tea in areas such as
- Your kitchen cabinet
- Near a BBQ Grill
- Near a vanity where you frequently put on perfume or cologne
- Near household cleaning product with a pungent smell
If you have both raw and ripe pu-erh, have a separate storage area for each type of tea to avoid cross-contamination.
For more information on how to store pu-erh tea, read the full article here: https://mansatea.com/blogs/learn/how-to-store-pu-erh-tea